The feast of St. John falls on the Saturday closest to the day of his repose, so that the faithful might find it easier to participate in the feast of this saint of the Church Abroad. This year, this was July 2nd.
His Grace, Bishop Luke, served the Divine Liturgy together with the monastery clergy. Besides the usual number of pilgrims attending the services, the church was filled with 32 boys, participating in the monastery’s annual “Summer Boys” camp.
Vladyka John is probably the only canonized saint who actually visited the monastery. He participated in the consecration of the monastery Holy Trinity Cathedral in 1950.